Tuesday, September 17, 2013

2.0: Journal Entry 1, Part 1

A quarter or so of the semester has gone by already.  Here is the first of two entries to catch myself up to speed.

Preface:
     I was looking at what possible courses I could take for this semester, so many of which I didn't really want to take, when I tried to remember the classes I actually did enjoy during my time in college.  I could only come up with a few.  The several dance classes that I took when I was away for school in Colorado; Contact Improvisation 1 & 2 and Dance Technique into Improvisation.  Those classes (DTiI especially) were the most enjoyable classes I have ever taken.  It was always something special to go to class.

     At the time, I almost decided to stay in Colorado for the rest of my college career to major in the BFA program.  The joy movement brought into my life was almost too much for me to resist.  Almost.  Unfortunately  due to the ever present need for money.  I decided that it was not financially feasible to stay in Colorado for school, and so at the end of my third semester, I had to come home.

     After coming home I had somehow forgot about the idea of becoming a Fine Arts major, and focused again on more traditionally academic studies.  As luck would have it however, a friend showed me a video that changed my life.  (Ultimate Lindy Hop Showdown 2006 should you be interested, also shown below.)




     After watching/obsessing/replaying a million times that video, I knew that I had to learn to do the things they were doing.  I did a quick Google search and found the only place on the island that danced Lindy Hop and decided to show up for their Thursday night dance.

     That was almost 2 years, a crazy dance weekend, at least 27 classes, and 100 social dances ago.   Now, I am a decent Lindy Hop/Balboa dancer with aspirations of teaching and being competitive.  I need so much more practice, but it has become such a large part of who I am, that I can't imagine my life without it. 
/end Detour

     Now with dance becoming a larger and larger part of my life, I want to explore ever more the realm of movement.  So I decided to take this class with intentions of broadening the breadth and depth of my understanding, vocabulary, and overall awareness of what is possible. 

Alas, it is late.
I shall continue later,
-Corbett

No comments:

Post a Comment